Holy cow this soup was delicious! I used my immersion blender to puree it. Just so you know, crimini mushrooms are the mini portabellos, so technically you could just get all crimini but we went ahead and did the caps since there was a sale on them. I had to let the soup boil for about 5 minutes to get all the cheese melted and this would probably be really good with other cheeses too. I think I might try mozzarella next time since it’s a bit cheaper and I do love me some mozzarella.
- 2 shallots, minced
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half)
- 8 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water to mix with cornstarch
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and shallots, and sauté until most of the water has cooked out of the mushrooms, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, as well as the chunks of brie cheese.
- Simmer the soup, whisking until the cheese melts down.
- Make a “slurry” with the cornstarch and water, and whisk into the soup to thicken.
- Bring to a soft rolling boil and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.