- 1 cup preferred rice (we usually use brown)
- 2 cups water
- 1 package tofu
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (or cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas
- Press the tofu between two plates and a heavy pot or can on top for at least 30 minutes
- Cook the cup of rice according to package directions (steamer works great)
- While rice is cooking, cut the tofu into bite size pieces.
- Fry the tofu in a deep fryer or fry them in a skillet. Drain on paper towel.
- Mix together all the spices (you can use less if you like but I like lots of flavor)
- Sauté onion and garlic over medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- Mix in curry powder and chickpeas and sauté for 5 more minutes
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve over rice!