- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1 TBS. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 – 1 cup mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Remove the leaves and hard center core of the cauliflower.
- Cut into florets. Wash and then allow the cauliflower to dry completely. (You want the cauliflower completely dry to cut down on the boiled cauliflower taste and smell.)
- Once dry, fill the bowl of a food processor about half full and using the chopping blade and the pulse action, process the cauliflower until it looks like the size of grains of rice.
- Add the processed cauliflower to a microwave safe bowl and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Once all the Cauliflower has been processed and added to the microwave safe bowl, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and microwave on high for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and place on a tea towel.
- Squeeze out all the water to get it as dry as possible (we need to remove all the extra moisture so the crust crisps up properly)
- In a medium bowl combine the dry cauliflower, egg, 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper and mix to combine well.
- Press the cauliflower mixture into an even thickness on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, either into a round or rectangular shaped pizza approximately ¼ inch thick
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is firm and golden brown
- While pizza crust is baking cook mushrooms over medium heat until they release their liquid, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove crust from oven and turn on the broiler, moving the rack up close to the broiler
- Top the cooked crust with sauce, remaining cheese, and mushrooms
- Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly and melted (watch closely, broiler times vary)