- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 6 100% whole-grain buns
- In a saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Let quinoa cool.
- In a bowl, combine half the lentils, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, cumin, cilantro, lemon juice, cooked quinoa, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a food processor or blender; process until well combined. Add remaining lentils and walnuts; pulse until they’re incorporated.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet over medium heat; add sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brush burgers with oil and cook for 4 minutes per side.
- Toast buns for 2 minutes.
- Serve burgers on buns and top with sauteed mushrooms.