Someone apparently thought Emeril Lagasse needed more exposure so Pinned his creamed spinach recipe over at Food Network, but it looks tasty, and I wanted something spinach to go along with the sweet potatoes. It looks a tad rich, but hopefully that’s counteracted by the fact that, hey, it’s spinach! Right?
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released.
6. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.