This recipe calls for puff pastry. I’ve posted a recipe here to make your own!
- 2 packages puff pastry sheets, 2 sheets per package
- 1 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheeseDirections
- Remove pastry from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for about 30- 40 minutes or until they are easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, add the beef, onion and green pepper to a large skillet and cook until beef is browned and vegetables begin to soften. Stir occasionally to break meat up and prevent scorching.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Drain all the grease from the pan and return to the heat.
- Add tomato, catsup, cilantro or parsley, and taco seasonings. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. You want a pretty dry mixture so your filling stays put in the pastry.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Work with one pastry sheet at a time, keeping the others covered so they do not dry out.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out a pastry sheet and cut into 4 even pieces.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture in the center of the pastry.
- Mix the egg and water together and brush pastry edges with it.
- Grab one corner of a pastry and fold over to form a triangle. Press edges with a fork to seal and brush the tops with more egg mixture.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used. (I had leftover meat)
- Place the pastries on a sprayed or greased baking sheet. You could also use parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.Note-To Freeze and Bake Later: Place pockets on parchment paper or wax paper and freeze until firm. They can then be transferred to a zip top bag and stored in the freezer. Remove desired amount from freezer when ready to use and bake as directed, increasing time to 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.