Tonight’s recipe is one Dominique made up after deciding she wanted to try stuffed zucchini and not finding any recipes she really liked. We’re serving this with guests tonight, 5 kids in attendance so hopefully it will be a hit for them.
8 zucchini, scrubbed
2 tablespoons oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, diced
3-4 cups spaghetti sauce (we’re using leftover spaghetti sauce from our own recipe)
4 leaves fresh basil (can substitute 1 tbsp dried, use more if not using a very flavorful spaghetti sauce)
1 tbsp dried oregano (I don’t have fresh growing right now, the heat killed my outside herbs)
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add spaghetti sauce and heat through
4. Cut the knobby end of the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise.
5. Scoop out the pulp leaving about 1/4 inch of the zucchini sides
6. Mix breadcrumbs, spices, and pulp into the sauce.
7. Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture
8. Bake for 35 minutes, sprinkle cheese on top, and then finish baking for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool before serving.