These were tasty but there’s a number of changes I would make. View the comments to see what I would add.
- 6 whole wheat tortillas, taco size (we use Las Banderitas brand and they were really supple and delicious)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cups water (recommend vegetable broth but we were out)
- 1 package frozen corn
- 1 16 oz can black beans
- 1 16 oz can refried beans (we have to find vegetarian ones specifically)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (to taste)
- 3 cups cheese (we used fiesta blend)
- Bring the quinoa to a boil, then lower temperature to simmering and add taco seasoning. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Steam the corn in the microwave (if you purchased a non-steamable bag just put corn in a microwave safe bowl with 2 tbs of water and heat for 5-6 minutes)
- Heat the beans either on the stove or in the microwave.
- Once all ingredients have been properly cooked/heated through prepare your assembly area by setting out the tortillas, refried beans, quinoa, black beans, corn, then cheese.
- Spread refried beans over half of one tortilla.
- Follow with approximately 2 tbs each of quinoa, black beans, and corn.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on top then fold in half and gently press closed.
- Spread a light layer of margarine over the top of the tortilla and melt 1/2 tablespoon in the pan being used over medium heat.
- Cook the quesadilla over medium heat until both sides are crispy. It took us about 2 minutes each.
- Repeat steps 5-9 until you’ve made as many quesadillas as desired. We had leftover filling and I think it would fill about 8 quesadillas. We mixed the filling ingredients all together to make it easier for lunch!