1/2 lb farfalle pasta or 1/2 lb other short cut pasta
For the Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes ( about 9 medium)
- 1 small onions, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring to boil a large pot of water for the pasta.
- Start the tomato sauce. bring another large pot of water to boil. score the bottom of the tomatoes, blanch in the boiling water for about a minute, Cool and peel. discard skins. and roughly chop tomatoes
- In a small saucepan, saute the minced onion and garlic in olive oil over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the onion and garlic. If you want a thin sauce, blend the sauce with an immersion blender and cook about 15 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions.
- In another saucepan, make the alfredo sauce by melting the butter in a over low-medium heat. whisk in the flour until smooth and cook about 2 minutes, until brown.
- Whisk in the milk, half & half, and garlic and season with salt & pepper (white pepper is a wonderful flavor for alfredo). continuously whisking, Bring to a simmer and cook about 2 minutes until thickened.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Whisk in the parmesan. and add up to 1/3 cup of the hot pasta cooking water to the alfredo sauce to thin it out a bit. Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and add to the alfredo sauce.
- Mix the fresh basil into the tomato sauce and add the tomato sauce to the pasta. mix well.