1 tbs butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 lbs fresh broccoli, cut into smaller pieces
1 cup carrots, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Melt 1 tbs butter and sauté onions for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt remaining butter over medium heat and add flour, using a whisk to prevent clumps. Whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes.
- Add half and half, continue whisking for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli, carrots, and onions. Simmer again over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before adding the broccoli and onions I put them in the food processor and chopped them into itty bitty bits, so I only cooked for 10 minutes.)
- Add salt and pepper, and if you want a less chunky soup puree with an immersion blender.
- Add cheese and nutmeg and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot!