½ tbs dry yeast
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
2 cups white flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
1 med-large onion diced
10 oz frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and 3/4 tsp salt, stir with a wooden spoon until smooth
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface (pastry cloth is great for this!) and knead for 3 minutes. Shape into a ball then cover with the bowl for 15 minutes
- Uncover and knead again for 3 minutes, then divide evenly shaping (we do 8) into balls and lightly coat with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes.
- At this point make the filling by sautéing the onion in a skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once translucent (about 2-3 minutes) add spinach and spices and cook for 7-8 minutes until heated through.
- Once dough has sat for 30 minutes, take one piece of dough at a time carefully flatten into a 6 inch circle (dough will be thin and delicate so work carefully, you can lightly spray non-stick spray on your hands to help with flattening).
- Put 1/8 of the spinach onion mixture in the center of the circle (probably about 2 tbs) and fold the sides of the dough over the filling. Fold one short side over filling and the other short side under dough and gently press square of dough to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Heat ½ tsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 4 flatbreads to the pan and cook until crisp and golden , anywhere between 1-2 minutes based on how well your pan heats up. Flip and cook other side as well.
- Transfer flatbreads to a parchment paper lined platter and repeat with another ½ tsp oil and the remaining four flatbreads.
- Serve Immediately!