Herbed Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- Melt butter in a soup pot.
- Add oil, onion, and herbs and cook on medium, stirring, until onion starts to brown.
- Add all the tomatoes and the tomato paste and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Blend flour with 1/2 cup of the chicken stock to make a slurry.
- Add to tomato mixture, stirring.
- Add remaining stock.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Puree soup in batches in blender.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Reheat to serving temperature.
Baked Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb macaroni
- 8 tbs butter
- 1/2 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart baking dish. (Or use Pam)
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add macaroni and the 1 tbs oil.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until somewhat tender.
- Drain well, and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 7 tbs of the butter.
- Stir into macaroni.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the shredded cheeses.
- To the macaroni, add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheeses, half and half, the cubed cheese, the eggs, and the seasoned salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Cut remaining 1tbs butter into small chunks and sprinkle across top of casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve hot.