This was breakfast this morning. Thanks to Sara and Jordan Campbell for idea and recipe. Assemble the ingredients the night before then pop it in the oven in the morning. Quick, easy, and delicious.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- 8-9 slices of bread of your choice (we used just sandwich bread for this)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil cooking spray or melted butter
- Place the eggs, milk, sugar, nutmeg or cinnamon and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Mist the bottom of a 12 by 8-inch glass casserole with vegetable oil spray or brush with melted butter.
- Tear half the bread into small pieces and cover the bottom of your casserole dish. We used a smaller casserole dish and you may need more bread and mixture if you’re using a larger one.
- Pour half the egg and milk mixture over the bread, distributing it evenly. Gently shake your dish to try to ensure the bread is evenly coated.
- Repeat process with the rest of the bread and egg/milk mixture.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bread slices puff up.
- Serve warm. Can serve with maple syrup if desired.