We use store bought tortellini as I am not up to making it fresh, but the sauce more than makes up for it. I suggest making the Bruschetta topping first as the longer you let the flavors mix the better it tastes, start toasting the bread when the sauce is almost done. For ours we use boxwood basil out of our small herb patch, but any kind will work, just get the flavor you like best.
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 8 slices Italian bread, cut about 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Whisk together chopped garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
- When combined slowly drizzle in oil.
- Add tomatoes and let sit for 20 minutes at room temp.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread.
- This can be done either in the toaster (if it’s got really wide slots), in a toaster oven, or under the broiler (if using this method watch closely so it doesn’t become a brickette).
- When the bread is toasted rub each piece, on one side, with the whole garlic pieces.
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle on a little cheese and broil till the cheese melts (you can skip that last broiling bit and it’s equally as wonderful
- 1 1/4 lbs cheese tortellini, cooked
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped for topping
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese, Freshly-grated for topping
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, peeled crushed drained (canned)
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes, mashed
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly-grated
- Prepare tortellini as directed on package.
- Heat tomatoes on medium heat.
- Blend bouillon with basil, parsley and pepper into the tomatoes.
- Saute the garlic in olive oil until just white.
- Add to the sauce and bring just to a simmer.
- When sauce is hot, add the cream to a non-aluminum skillet and bring to a slow boil and add the hot tomato sauce and cheese.
- Stir well and blend the tortellini into the pan of tomato basil cream sauce.
- Serve, topped with parsley and cheese.